When renovating, a sander is an ideal tool to get you started with a clean slate. But the catch is that while sanders are great for removing worn-out paint, they come in endless variations and brands which can be painstaking to choose between.
In this case, what do you do when you don’t know which sander is worth the investment?
Our team of researchers have scoured the internet in search of the best sander for removing paint from metal, and have compiled the curated list of top 5 picks below.
These picks aren’t just tried and tested by us, but backed with the highest ratings from consumers all over the world, so you can rest assured every pick is fit for the job.
- Quick Overview: Best Sander For Removing Paint From Metal – Top 5 Picks In This Year
- Best Sander for Removing Paint from Metal – Honest Reviews
- BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander
- ZFE 1200W Burnishing Polishing Machine
- GALAX PRO 280W Electric Sander
- Ginour 5 Inch Random Orbital Sander
- ENERTWIST Electric Random Orbit Sander
- 1. STUHAD Orbital Sander Sandpaper Sanding Discs
- 2. S STAC Hook and Loop Adhesive Sanding Discs
- 3. POWERTEC 45004 A/O Hook and Loop 8 Hole Disc
- 4. Gator 4347 5" Random Orbit Hook & Loop Sanding Discs
Quick Overview: Best Sander For Removing Paint From Metal – Top 5 Picks In This Year
Image & Title
BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander Review
ZFE Burnishing Polishing Machine Review
GALAX PRO Electric Sander Review
Ginour 5 Inch Random Orbital Sander Review
ENERTWIST Electric Random Orbit Sander Review
Best Sander for Removing Paint from Metal – Honest Reviews
Alongside widespread consumer approval, we’ve also considered the price and quality of each sander, making sure that each pick is at an affordable cost without forsaking performance and usability.
BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander
At first place on our list is the BLACK+DECKER 5 Inch Random Orbit Sander, which earned its praise for its spotless finish and comfortable usability. This small handheld tool packs a strong punch and can work through tough paint in seconds.
This sander carries an amperage capacity of 2 Amps, which is a lot considering its mere 5-inch width. With this much power, the tool is able to aggressively move through the toughest of paints and provide a spot-free surface, making it the best power sander for removing paint from metal objects.
The high power of the sander also enables it to work at a swift speed. This means that when removing paint with sander, the total time for the task is cut down tremendously, saving you the trouble of working for extended periods of time.
Moreover, the sander includes 12000 OPM random orbit action, which allows the tool to make quick spins without leaving swirl marks on the surface it’s used on.
This is an advantage when using this random orbit sander on metal, as it’s able to separate the paint from the material without causing any visible damage. So, paint can be reapplied with ease, leaving no signs of unevenness or rough texture.
Another benefit of using the BDERO100 hand sander for removing paint is that it’s very comfortable to work with. Due to its compact build, the sander can be maneuvered easily and fit into tight-fit places, which leaves no space untouched.
Plus, it comes with a dust collector bag, which stores all the fine dust and paint residue and keeps it from causing any excess mess.
- High powered motor, aggressively removes paint from metal surfaces
- Quickly separates toughest of paints from the surface, leaves spotless finish
- Cuts down removal time save more time for other steps of the project
- Requires low effort, hard-working sander removes paint without added assistance
- Does not leave swirl marks after use, leaves smooth to touch surface
- Compact build, easy to maneuver, and fits into tight spaces for wide coverage
- Spins slow down with added pressure
- Performance may weaken with time
This handheld sander does wonders when used to remove paint from metal surfaces, which is exactly why it belongs at the top of our list. However, we would not recommend this for long-term use, but rather for occasional and small-scale projects.
ZFE 1200W Burnishing Polishing Machine
Our runner-up is this electric burnishing polishing machine from ZFE. This tool is built to give metal surfaces a shiny and smooth texture and remove all types of damage including paint for a renewed look.
From everything from removing rust to fine polishing, this metal sander machine can carry out a number of different application methods on various metals. Some of its features include sanding, removing oxide layers and scratches, and polishing. Because of its all-in-one functionality, it cuts down your need for other tools.
Its multifaceted usability comes in handy for large projects. For instance, after sanding off paint from a car part, you can use the same polishing sander to even out the surface for a fresh coat of paint. Even after painting, you can use the polishing pad for sander to liven up the color.
Which brings us to the next point: wheels. The Burnishing Polishing Machine comes with a set of 4 differently textured wheels to carry out its multifunctionality. They are all detachable and can be used interchangeably to sand, polish, and smoothen surfaces.
With its 1200W high-powered motor, this electric sander is able to work at a rapid pace to sand, smoothen, and polish in a matter of minutes. It comes with a selection of 6 different speed settings, all of which are able to give an even texture to metal surfaces.
The machine’s structure consists of two handles, one above the drum cover and one with the power cord attached, which helps you to gain full control while using the tool. This not only helps with precision but also allows for a more smooth finish on the surface you’re using it on.
- Multifunctional, polishes, sands, smoothens, clears rust, removes scratches, and more
- Can be used on different metal surfaces, including stainless steel, cast iron, etc.
- Eliminates the need for other tools, cuts downtime and effort for other steps
- Great for large projects, the hardworking motor allows vast coverage
- 6 different speed settings, works consistently and allows more control
- Two handles for more balance and precision during use
- Heavy to carry
- Heats up quickly
This polisher and sander machine is a great choice if you want to minimize your use of multiple tools and get work done quickly. However, the user comfort is not fully satisfactory, so if you fear that might affect the quality of your work, move to our next pick.
GALAX PRO 280W Electric Sander
Just like our previous pick, this metal hand sander also has multiple functions so you can get the most out of one tool. Plus, it makes sanding much less of a messy task and enables you to work comfortably.
Although its 280W motor is a step down from our previous sander, the GALAX PRO 5 electric sander is able to carry out 13000 rotations per minute to smooth out the finest imperfections for a seamless textured surface. This is great for evening out slightly rough surfaces, such as old paint, stains, varnishes, and more.
Moreover, this tool is equipped with an excellent sander pad for wood or metal, making it a versatile machine. The sander itself comes with 15 detachable sanding pads which work on various surfaces, including plastic, metal, wood, and more.
Aside from sanding and polishing, the tool is also able to carry out other texture correcting tasks, such as fine rust removal. This allows you to bring dull surfaces back to life, and properly prepare them for a fresh coat of paint.
If you’re thinking of doing large-scale projects, this handheld metal sander is a great option. Because of its 125mm diameter sander pad, it is able to reach a wide surface area and sand all parts of the surface evenly. Not only does this make big projects like car repair much easier to do, but makes it less time-consuming.
As for the design and structure, the sander carries an ergonomic build to maximize user comfort as well as enhance control during use. The sander machine itself has a built-in dust collector bag which stores all the waste dust from sanding and minimizes workspace mess.
- The powerful motor carries out 13000 rotations per minute for quick and efficient sanding
- Ideal for rough surfaces, old paint, stains, varnishes, and more
- Multifunctional, 15 detachable sanding pads work on various surfaces
- Great for large scale projects, reach wide surface area and cuts down work time
- Ergonomic build enables maximum user comfort with enhanced control
- Built-in dust collector bag reduces workspace mess by storing excess
- Cannot be used in small spaces
- Slows down slightly from the added pressure
For the most comfort and control during sanding and polishing, this sanding machine is the best option. It has little to no issues with its functionality and is overall a very powerful tool, but we wouldn’t recommend this for small projects.
Ginour 5 Inch Random Orbital Sander
Our next pick is the Ginour 300W powerful motor orbital sander, which is ideal for quickly getting DIY projects done with maximum user comfort along the way. This sander is very simple to use and enhances control for the most precision.
Just like our last sander pick, this one also has a powerful OPM of 13000 rotations per minute to carry out quick and effective sanding. However, this orbital sander has a stronger motor of 300W, which enables it to work through tough irregularities such as old paint, rust, and stains in seconds.
The Ginour sander can work with a variety of surface types, including metal, wood, plastic, and more. It also has a number of different functions, such as sanding, smoothing, polishing, removing stains, and evening out scratches. For its multifunctionality, this tool is best sander for metal surfaces a DIYer can use.
For at-home projects, this tool is by far the best option on our list. Aside from just removing paint from metals, it covers a lot of surface area while sanding and polishing to reduce work time significantly. Plus, it collects all the excess waste from sanding in a dust collector bag to easily dispose of after, saving you the time of cleaning up.
Moreover, the sander is built to provide the most user comfort, which in turn enhances the quality of sanding and polishing. It does so through its design, which consists of a handle with comfortable grips that reduce hand fatigue.
Despite its high-powered motor, the sander only slightly vibrates, allowing you to remain focused and have undisturbed precision while you work.
- Great for at-home projects, easy to use, and provides maximum user comfort
- Powerful motor works through tough irregularities in seconds
- Works with a variety of surface types, including metal, wood, plastic, and more
- Multifaceted, sands, smoothens, polishes, removes stains and evens out scratches
- 15 detachable sanding discs with polishing sponge and felt for long term use
- Enhances user focus and precision with low vibration motor
- Spins slow down with external force
- Dust occasionally escapes collector
Because of its easy-to-use settings, comfortable to maneuver build, and time-reducing performance, home DIYers will benefit the most from this sander. It’s also a good choice for beginners and people looking for a sander to use occasionally rather than for regular carpeting projects.
ENERTWIST Electric Random Orbit Sander
To tie our list together is the ENERTWIST Orbital Sander which is a compact tool perfect for beginners, at-home DIYers, and small-scale projects. Even with its compact build, this sander is able to bring out expert quality performance.
Built with a high-powered motor, this electric metal sander is able to produce 12000 OPM that allows the tool to easily work through texture irregularities, and give a smooth-to-the-touch finish. This speed can also be adjusted to preference from a range of 6 different speeds, which also allows careful polishing.
This random orbital sander/polisher combo does an excellent job of eliminating the need for other tools. In its set, it comes with its sander/polisher, 6 adjustable sander discs, and 4 polishing pads. These can be used alternatively to sand, buff, polish, and smoothen all with one tool.
Plus, these pads and discs can be switched for one another in mere seconds, all due to its easy hook and loop system. This may not seem like a big difference, but it definitely cuts down work time significantly.
Since its build is lightweight and compact, this is the perfect best sander for metal work at home. You can maneuver the tool from station to station without hesitation and can store it away easily with your other power tools after use. The swift and seamless mobility of the tool helps you to keep steady control of your hand.
Another reason why this is the best orbital sander for removing paint at home is its usability.
For added user comfort, the tool features an ergonomic design, which reduces hand fatigue and enhances precision and focus. The 3 position palm grip allows you to comfortably hold the tool so that it easily works across metals without requiring you to apply more pressure.
- Adjustable speeds, 6 different speed settings for more precise polishing and sanding
- High powered 12000 OPM motor to quickly break down paint from metals
- Sands, buffs, polishes, and smooths for blemish-free textures without extra tools
- Ergonomic design, comfortable to hold and carry which enhances user focus
- Easily glides across metals, does not require added pressure from the user
- The vacuum cannot be attached
We had a hard time finding cons for this sander as there are virtually no downsides to using this tool for DIY projects. Judging by its build and performance, we highly recommend this for medium to small-scale projects. It can be used by professionals, but beginners can also take advantage of the sander’s ergonomic build.
Top 4 Best Sandpaper Sheets for Metal – Comparison Table
1. STUHAD Orbital Sander Sandpaper Sanding Discs
- No. of Discs: 165
- Grit: 40/60/80/120/180/240/320/400/600
- Material: Aluminum oxide
- Adhesion Type: Adhesive backing
- Uses: Wet and dry use, polishing, paint removal, general grinding, rust removal, sanding
- Compatible Surface Types: Wood, metal, wall, plastic, leather, rubber, glass
2. S STAC Hook and Loop Adhesive Sanding Discs
- No. of Discs: 72
- Grit: 40/60/80/120/180/240/320
- Material: Aluminum oxide
- Adhesion Type: Adhesive backing
- Uses: Polishing, general grinding, rust removal, sanding
- Compatible Surface Types: Stone, alloy, glass, leather rubber, plastic, metal, aluminum, wood
3. POWERTEC 45004 A/O Hook and Loop 8 Hole Disc
- No. of Discs: 25
- Grit: 40/60/80/120/180/240/320
- Material: Aluminum oxide
- Adhesion Type: Velcro
- Uses: Heavy sanding, scratch removal, polishing, smoothing, grinding, dry sanding
- Compatible Surface Types: Metal, wood, painted surfaces, fiberglass, plastic, rubber
4. Gator 4347 5″ Random Orbit Hook & Loop Sanding Discs
- No. of Discs: 50
- Grit: 40/60/80/120/180/220/320
- Material: Red Resin Aluminum oxide
- Adhesion Type: Felt backing
- Uses: Paint removal, smoothing, sanding, polishing,
- Compatible Surface Types: Metal, fiberglass, painted surfaces, wood
Buying Guide: Best Sander for Removing Paint from Metal
Before you go and get your hands on the sander of your choice, there are a few things you should know to ensure the best user experience with your new tool. As you already know, not every sander is fit for sanding, but if you search carefully, you can easily find the perfect sander for your project.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind while looking for the best sander for removing paint –
The best way to remove paint from metal is to choose a sander with a well-powered motor. This can be deciphered by the motor’s amperage capacity, which is a measure of how hardworking the unit is. Usually, average sander motors will be somewhere around 3 amps or lower. But for a tool for sanding metal, it should at least be 6 amps.
This is especially important if you’re doing heavy sanding or large-scale projects. A well-powered motor will also enhance your overall experience with removing the paint from metals and get your work done quicker. So, if you’re planning on sanding metal with orbital sander, choose one with high amperage.
Other than just getting your projects done quickly, the speed of your handheld metal sander has to be enough to work through texture irregularities, especially paint.
When using an orbital sander on metal, speed is crucial as it will determine how fast the sand disc will rotate and separate the paint from the metal surface. For satisfactory results, we recommend an OPM of at least 12000 or higher, but this can vary.
If you want to use the sander for metal projects that are relatively smaller than, for instance, car renovation, then we would recommend going down on the speed. This is because higher speeds would be too aggressive and might throw off your stability and control during sanding.
Having good control on your sander to remove paint is important as well as it will affect the results of your hard work. A quality sander for metalwork will not vibrate too aggressively, shake, puff out dust, or jerk abruptly. All these will inevitably make you lose focus and make more uneven spots.
To be on the safe side, consider getting a small orbital sander for removing paint from metal, as it’s much easier to control and keep balance with.
When using any sander for removing paint, there will no doubt be paint residue and waste in the form of fine dust particles. If these end up in your eyes, mouth, or nasal passage they will definitely cause health risks. This is why you will notice that most sanders come with dust collector compartments.
However, not every paint sander has a good dust collection system. Some of them can have dust escaping out of loose edges, poor ventilation, not enough space, and more inconveniences. To avoid this, try to go for a sander with a large dust collector and empty it out between intervals during use to avoid overheating.
Finding the best sander for removing paint from metal can be difficult, but we hope we reduce the burden with our information. No matter how professional-grade quality a sander is, if it cannot get your project done in a reasonable amount of time it’s simply not worth it.
All our picks for the best sander listed above are all great options that you can’t go wrong with. If you’re still undecided on which one is the most suitable for your desired task, go through our comparison table to weigh out your options.
Also Related Article: Best Benchtop Belt Sander For Metal